From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fonts, Xfree, Linux
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 19:54:18
1 Yes, this is a good idea in general.
2 On to the particulars:
3
4 On Friday 30 May 2003 02:30, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
5 > Now, here's the question. Gentoo policy dictates that we do not touch
6 > files in /etc. During emerge, this is fine, we can provide a file to be
7 > etc-update'd. The concern is during emerge unmerge, when a font path is to
8 > be removed.
9
10 I am not sure I understand the issue: the fontpaths are akin to variable
11 settings - one line corresponding to installed fontdir. Why can't we do
12 something similar to what we do with /etc/env.d?
13 For example have /usr/share/fonts/paths.d directory (or may be
14 /etc/fontpaths.d may be more appropriate) and have every font pacjage install
15 a file containing the corresponding path.. The utility would scan this dir
16 (called from pkg_postinst or somehow automatically otherwise) and update both
17 official config files. Users should not need to mess with these one-liners,
18 so they will get deleted upon unmerge...
19