From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: Does OpenRC really need mount-ro
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:22:20
1 On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 1:05 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The reason it exists is very vague to me; I think it has something to do
4 > with claims of data loss in the past.
7 Is there some other event that will cause all filesystems to be
8 remounted read-only or unmounted before shutdown?
9
10 You definitely will want to either unmount or remount readonly all
11 filesystems prior to rebooting. I don't think the kernel guarantees
12 that this will happen (I'd have to look at it). Just doing a sync
13 before poweroff doesn't seem ideal - if nothing else it will leave
14 filesystems marked as dirty and likely force fscks on the next boot
15 (or at least it should - if it doesn't that is another opportunity for
16 data loss).
17
18 There are different ways of accomplishing this of course, but you
19 really want to have everything read-only in the end.
22 Rich