From: Doug Klima <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Deprecating an eclass
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 22:19:58
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:43:56 -0500
3 > Doug Klima <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Ok. I guess no one else has any feelings about this.
6 >>
7 >> Potentially doing something like:
8 >>
9 >> DEPRECIATED="$DEPRECATED $ECLASS"
12 > Deprecated != depreciated.
13 >
14 You caught my typo. You clearly still got the meaning of the e-mail...
15 >
16 >> at the top of each deprecated eclass. In the end $DEPRECATED would
17 >> have a list of all the eclasses that are deprecated?
18 >>
19 >> Maybe even:
20 >>
21 >> DEPRECATED_MYECLASS="myreplacement"
22 >>
23 >> would mean that myeclass.eclass is replaced by myreplacement.eclass ?
26 > Well, that depends upon whether you want it to be part of the C/P-V
27 > metadata... If you do, it's a cache format change (and you can't easily
28 > do DEPRECATED_*). But then, deprecation is a property of the eclass,
29 > not an C/P-V.
32 Deprecation is a property of the eclass. Not of an ebuild. The point is
33 to allow utilities and users/developers to clearly see that an eclass is
34 deprecated and what they should be using in place of it.
35 --
36 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list