From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA Overlay Layout support.
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 16:05:23
1 Alistair Bush schrieb:
2 > Asking non-dev contributors to handle package.mask's would be a "less
3 > than ideal". Resulting in "interesting breakages". Currently by adding
4 > java-experimental ( which might I add isn't available thru layman ) you
5 > are accepting that risk.
6 >
7 > At least java and kde have need of this, and I could imagine sunrise
8 > could also use this ( either now or in the future ).
9
10 > Contributors sometimes have difficulty following standards (hell even
11 > dev's do). I have little confidence that would also be able to actually
12 > add packages to package.mask without breaking anything else.
13 > As an example we had a contributor break the manifests of a dozen or so
14 > packages because he updated the Copyright header then couldn't get the
15 > ebuild to manifest. I can imagine someone committing dev-java/ant-core
16 > to the file. That and there are 325 ebuilds [1] in java-experimental.
17 > Masking even 1/2 of them separately would be a complete nightmare.
18 >
19 > I also note that sunrise doesn't seem to do this either.
20
21 Just to explain it a bit, also it should be documented in the docs (if not, patches are welcome):
22
23 Sunrise has the sunrise/ tree, where you can only read and write with a password (=reading our
24 HowtoCommit and having an ebuild reviewed). All initial commits go into this part, but since this is
25 only internal, the commits cannot harm any user.
26 For the second step, we have the reviewed/ tree, which is public and used by layman. The sunrise/
27 tree is reviewed by the sunrise devs and after all commits where reviewed, the changes in sunrise/
28 where merged into reviewed/.
29 Since the packages are still experimental (we only do a basic review on the ebuilds), we only allow
30 and accept ~ARCH for normal ebuilds and no KEYWORDS for live ebuilds. This way, a stable user has to
31 explicitly keyword a package, before he can install it from sunrise.
32
33 Since this is a different concept then those of kde and java (where users can add code without some
34 basic qa check and review), i dont see a need for your request on sunrise side, but if i missed
35 something, feel free to enlighten me.
39 Thomas Sachau
40
41 Gentoo Linux Developer