From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Closing bugs [was: New Bugzilla HOWTO]
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 15:35:20
1 Nathan L. Adams wrote:
2 > Good point. See my reply to Jon Portnoy for the latest revision of the
3 > idea that would apply to everyone as an optional 'best practice'.
4
5 Again, it doesn't really work like this. The groups you describe are different
6 in nature, and certain procedures suit some groups better than others. Sure,
7 we can write somewhere "its good to review bug fixes" but thats not really
8 making any progress unless you can convert a particular group to do it as you
9 describe.
10
11 (As a sidenote, I don't think writing a general recommendation like that is
12 such a good idea. At least, I can't see it working in the groups I am involved
13 in.)
14
15 Here's what I suggest you do:
16
17 Pick a group. Subscribe to their mailing list.
18
19 Write a mail to their list, stating clearly what you think the current problem
20 is, and how you propose to solve or minimize it. Be prepared to back up your
21 proposal with existing closed bug reports, where having someone explicitly
22 review the fix and make a comment after the bug has been fixed would have been
23 beneficial and would have made some positive difference.
24
25 Try hard to understand their responses in full. As you've found out, its not
26 easy to know whether your own suggestions would be worthwhile to a development
27 community which you haven't had much involvement in (at least, not as much
28 involvement as the people you are speaking to).
29
30 Good luck :)
31
32 Daniel