From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: [gentoo-kernel] Proper distribution integration of kernel *-sources, patches and configuration.
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 02:00:35
1 On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 02:42:56PM +0200, Tom Wijsman wrote
2
3 > With USE=-experimental (which will be the default) they are excluded by
4 > default, after enabling that the user can exclude patches by setting
5 > UNIPATCH_EXCLUDE through the package.env mechanism.
6
7 Here's my user, not-a-developer, perspective. I think that there
8 should be a mechanism to enable one patch at a time. Here's the
9 rationale...
10
11 Assume that there are 50 different patches available. I may want/need
12 features provided by 1 of those patches. I probably do *NOT* want to
13 enable the other 49 patches. This is similar in concept to enabling one
14 ~amd64 ebuild, versus globally enabling ~amd64.
15
16 Even if I can come up with the list of the 49 patches to exclude, what
17 happens when the next developer comes along with patch #51? Does it get
18 applied next time I build a kernel (ouch)?
19
20 IANAD (I Am Not A Developer), but if I did want to apply custom
21 patches, I think the right approach would be to somewhere manually
22 modify UNIPATCH_LIST. If that approach won't work, maybe a USE_EXPAND
23 flag make.conf might be the way to go. E.g. CUSTOM_PATCH="foo bar"
24 would resolve to USE="custom_patch_foo custom_patch_bar"
27 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
28 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications