From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-core@l.g.o, gentoo-bsd@l.g.o, gentoo-alt@l.g.o, gwn-feedback@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo/FreeBSD: license problems require a development pause
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 01:51:28
1 Copying from my latest blog post, to let the news be spread without surprises:
4 This is a very sad blog by my side, although I hope this can be cleared up
5 soon so that I don’t have to be this sad anymore in the future.
6
7 Basically, the public Gentoo/FreeBSD development is officially halted starting
8 tonight, as there are some license issues between libkvm and
9 start-stop-daemon .
10
11 libkvm is a userspace interface to FreeBSD kernel, and it’s licensed under the
12 original BSD license, BSD-4 if you want, the one with the nasty advertising
13 clause[1]. For this reason, until I can clear this problem up, the stages are
14 pulled off from the mirrors, and won’t be put there in the mean time.
15 s-s-d is not the only GPL-released package that links to libkvm actually, GDB
16 does it, too, but I think that on the GPL part, we’re fine with the license,
17 as it’s a library that comes with the operating system, the problem is that
18 we don’t abide to the advertising clause (and we’ll probably never be able to
19 do so) and thus I don’t think we’re allowed to redistribute binaries.
20
21 I’ve mailed David O’Brien, who maintains the devel/gdb6 port for FreeBSD,
22 hoping that he knows more than me about these interactions, in the mean time,
23 I consider the public development of Gentoo/FreeBSD halted. This does not
24 mean that I won’t continue working on it, but we cannot currently
25 redistribute it.
26
27 Bear with us until we can find a solution. If we cannot link libkvm, I’m ready
28 to try cleanrooming it into a MIT-licensed library.
31 Please note that whatever the problems are, we _are_ going to solve it, and in
32 a short time (no more than a month), so we're not dead nor stopped yet :)
35 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
36 Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Sound, ALSA, PAM, KDE, CJK, Ruby ...