From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: .la files and their future on Gentoo
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 19:59:58
1 On 10/5/10 4:33 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:49:43 +0200
3 > Luca Barbato<lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Bluntly put, you seem to not know how libtool exactly works and
5 >> further down in the thread how linking exactly works. Please try to
6 >> learn the fine Gentoo docs on the subject and feel free to ask more
7 >> details on irc.
8 >
9 > Ah, so you do know exactly how libtool works?
10
11 I had to face it in code to workaround some cases already, it hadn't
12 been a nice experience.
13
14 > Great! It should be easy for you to fix it to only specify direct link
15 > dependencies then, thus solving the underlying problem in one place rather
16 > than working around it by fixing thousands of individual packages.
17
18 Sadly that would be already partially fixed by as-needed, the problem is
19 that libtool mangles also library search paths when using .la files and
20 that breaks in a number of situations we have in some sort of normal
21 uses of Gentoo.
22
23 > I look forward to testing your patch!
24
25 The patch to avoid the issues by omitting the usage of .la in case
26 --shared is provided is easy enough and solves quite well the problems
27 mentioned.
28
29 lu