From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] adding app-crypt/gentoo-keys to @system
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 15:00:48
1 Hi,
2
3 On 2019-02-25 17:09, Matthew Thode wrote:
4 > How about we allow a setting for controling which keyserver to refresh
5 > from. SKS has had problems, fedora has been better (and a coworker says
6 > MIT is ok too). Aparently they have a max key size set or something to
7 > work around keyserver 'brokenness'.
8 >
9 > Something similiar to this would be nice, but for keyservers.
10 >
11 > https://gist.github.com/robbat2/551fc8ea56408ee48e99909f9c26c13e
12
13 I am still not sure which problem you are trying to solve:
14
15 If you provide a way to disable key updates, you can also disable
16 verification in general: Our threat model allows for compromised keys
17 (just because you can't prevent that), so it is _essential_ that you
18 verify that the key is still valid as part of _each_ validation.
19
20 Fedora's keyserver are part of the normal SKS network.
21
22 Yes, gnupg doesn't handle keyserver failures very well. I.e. no real
23 timeout and switch to another server. But we enabled WKD a long time ago
24 which fixed most problems for me because this will avoid normal
25 keyservers in general. So I am wondering which problems do you have...
29 Regards,
30 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
31 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5