From: Patrice Clement <monsieurp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ALLARCHES and the maintainer action(s)
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 16:28:02
1 Saturday 19 Sep 2015 09:55:14, Anthony G. Basile wrote :
2 > On 9/19/15 8:56 AM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
3 > > Sent from an iPhone, sorry for the HTML...
4 > >
5 > > On Sep 19, 2015, at 8:31 AM, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov <mva@×××.name> wrote:
6 > >
7 > >>> So, if an arch developer tests the package(s) on one architecture, he is
8 > >>> allowed to stabilize/keyword for all.
9 > >> And how about the
10 > >>> some arches rquires additional tests during stabilization, like so: mips*,
11 > >> arm*, and some more exotic ones
12 > >> definition in developer manuals? :)
13 > >>
14 > >> --
15 > >> Best regards,
16 > >> mva
17 > > The ALLARCHES keyword is meant for stuff that is essentially platform-agnostic. Python code shouldn't act any different on arm than arm64 than amd64. Using that keyword on something like ffmpeg would be a bad use of the keyword.
18 >
19 > Even with python where, for example, `import ctypes' might trigger
20 > something on one arch and not another. Anyhow, thanks for the reminder
21 > ago. I see that keyword as "risky" but an unfortunate risk we have to
22 > take because we are short of manpower and don't have automated arch
23 > testing. I say use it where it appears reasonable (eg interpreted
24 > script and not compiled code) but be ready that every once in a while
25 > we'll get bitten.
26 >
27 > --
28 > Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
29 > Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
30 > E-Mail : blueness@g.o
31 > GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
32 > GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA
36 We've been using this keyword fairly often (we = Gentoo Java team) whenever
37 possible since the announcement and it worked out pretty well so far.
40 Patrice Clement
41 Gentoo Linux developer
42 http://www.gentoo.org