From: James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Unused ebuild built_with_use cleanup
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 23:53:27
1 >>>>> "Petteri" == Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> writes:
2
3 Petteri> Their maintainers should be active and switch their ebuilds to
4 Petteri> EAPI 2. If they don't have an active maintainer, then do we
5 Petteri> want to keep live ebuilds for them around?
6
7 What possible benefit could be had from dropping ebuilds for no other
8 reason than their EAPI?
9
10 (Incidently, since I mentioned it as the one I remembered from the first
11 post, I see that git-9999 is EAPI 2 even though it does use built_with_use.)
12
13 Any mass removal should be as conservative as possible in the list of
14 things removed, just like anything which declares something unlawful
15 should be interpreted narrowly.
16
17 Your initial post indicated that you only wanted to drop ebuilds which
18 were unlikely to be in use by users. Given the fact that most (all?)
19 live ebuilds are masked, any automated tests for the likelyhood that
20 an ebuild is in active use will, by definition, have false negatives
21 when dealing with live ebuilds. (Where false negative means unlikely
22 to be in use even though it, in fact, is in use.)
23
24 And even if you did not intend to limit your removals as much as you
25 indicated, it is still wrong to remove anything which the userbase
26 actively uses. These are not ebuilds which are broken, just ones
27 which, while functional, remain imperfect.
28
29 -JimC
30 --
31 James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6