From: Josh Glover <jmglov@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ufed / USE-Flags Grouping Suggestion
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 19:31:52
1 Quoth Jason Rhinelander:
2
3 > Ignoring ufed for the moment, this brings up an interesting idea - is
4 > there any reason portage couldn't dynamically manage the
5 > /etc/portage/package.use file, so that:
6 >
7 > USE="foo -bar" emerge somepackage
8 >
9 > would add
10 >
11 > cat-name/somepackage foo -bar
12 >
13 > to package.use? That means a user could update packages and have them
14 > installed the same way (unless, of course, I decided to specify a
15 > differense USE= or changed package.mask).
16
17 This is a great idea, IMO. The only thing that I would add is that we would
18 need a new command-line switch to emerge, something like --save-use. This way,
19 the default behaviour of emerge would not change, and people relying on it
20 would not get stung. People like me who would use the feature would just be
21 required to use the new switch.
24 Josh Glover
25
26 GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B 07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
27 gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list