From: "Gregory M. Turner" <gmt@×××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: News item 1: changes to stages (make.conf and make.profile)
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 03:31:11
1 On 9/9/2012 6:34 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 09/09/2012 05:59 PM, Duncan wrote:
3 >> To your knowlege (IOW have you tested) having /etc/make.conf either a
4 >> symlink to /etc/portage/make.conf or a simple one-line
5 >> "source /etc/portage/make.conf"?
6 >
7 > I've tested them both just now, and they work for me. Why wouldn't they?
8
9 If both /etc/portage/make.conf and /etc/make.conf were evaluated, stuff like
10
11 FOO="${FOO} bar"
12
13 could cause, i.e., duplications... not sure what all the rules are
14 limiting what one can and can't put in make.conf, but one could imagine
15 all kinds of wacky stuff.
16
17 However, IIRC, /etc/make.conf is just ignored by portage if
18 /etc/portage/make.conf is present, so symlinking, or even better, if
19 possible, hardlinking those files would probably "do the right thing"
20 for legacy tools that don't know about the new location... unless I'm
21 mistaken, which is always plausible :)
22
23 -gmt