From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] sys-build
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 08:57:27
Hi Guys,

Today I build a working sys-build package that includes all the packages
in sys-build, baselayout and portage.
This means we now have an environment to which we can chroot and build
everithing else within. (I tested all sys-packages with success, so the
rest should work too).
I used exactly the same dir-layout as in the corresponding sys-*
packages, so nothink statically linked remains
after the corresponding packages are merged over.
It is bigger(130MB, 28MB bzipped) than the 50MB I expectend it to be,
maybe it can be reduced to around 100MB. :-/.
What can we do now?

1. This build sytsem can be placed on a bootable cd together with the
sources and the ebuild-tree. We can then
unpack the build.tbz2 instead of the sys.tbz2 to our target partition,
chroot there and build everything.

2. We can use this as a starting point for ports to other platforms. It
should be possible to build the sys-build stuff
if we have ports of spython and portage and gcc-2.95.2 on the
base-system.

3. There is no more need for the other sys-categories now so these
packages can be moved to the other categories now. So we are one step
closer to a minimum runtime system now.

Feedback please

Achim**