From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2016 12:25:43
1 On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 12:22 PM, Alexander Berntsen <bernalex@g.o> wrote:
2 > If you mean that we should go with what is currently popular, then
3 > that would be Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and to a lesser degree
4 > Ubuntu. But I'm not sure what that mental exercise affords us. I am
5 > more concerned with how we can make Gentoo better, and how we can grow
6 > and evolve as a distro. I don't think Gentoo as it exists today will
7 > continue to be a success in 2025. From a user POV I already think that
8 > Gentoo is likely not the best distro choice for me. But instead of
9 > immediately abandoning ship like other developers have, I want Gentoo
10 > to improve.
11
12 If you think Exherbo is better for you, then you should probably
13 use/work on Exherbo instead.
14
15 I would tend to agree with those who have written that coordinating
16 work across repos is kind of a pain. The way we're currently setup,
17 with a largish active "core" repository and lots of little satellites
18 seems to work pretty well. We should always invest in ways to make it
19 easier to contribute work, and to become a dev, and I would not be
20 opposed to integrating layman/repositories.xml a bit more, but I don't
21 think your stated goal of totally decentralizing our ebuild tree will
22 make Gentoo better.
23
24 Cheers,
25