From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "gentoo-nfp@l.g.o" <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Forming Gentoo Policy - Copyright Assignment and Attribution
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 23:21:36
1 On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 07:12:43PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 6:40 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 > > No change intended. This is what happens when you send a thirty second
4 > > follow-up to a policy formed over two weeks, and then step away to eat...
5 >
6 > So, clarification now that I'm back at a keyboard...
7 >
8 > DCO is mandatory, and is simply a declaration that the committer has
9 > checked and the new code is distributed under the license chosen for
10 > the project (see original email for details, but generally
11 > GPL/BSD/etc). The Linux kernel is the main model for this. Since
12 > Gentoo is not always being assigned copyright we need to have a clear
13 > declaration that the code is available under a suitable free license
14 > so that we can further distribute it.
15 >
16 > FLA is optional, and is essentially a copyright assignment (or
17 > reasonable facsimile in certain jurisdictions designed by the FSFe).
18 > KDE is the main model for this.
19 >
20 > But, to whatever extent that anything I just wrote disagrees with the
21 > original email, just read the original email. The original email was
22 > carefully proofread by the Trustees, the rest is just
23 > discussion/reminders/etc. The final policy will be even more
24 > carefully reviewed. The whole bit about mandatory copyright
25 > assignment was dropped after the last round of discussion for all the
26 > reasons that have just been rehashed...
27
28 Ok, good, that's why I didn't object to the first email, only to this
29 one which seemed to say something else, so I assumed it was I who
30 misread the first version.
31
32 Nevermind then, sorry for the noise :)
33
34 greg k-h