From: Caleb Shay <caleb@××××××××.com>
To: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] torrent support in portage
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:55:32
On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 21:38, Robin H.Johnson wrote:

> Two questions here: > How much bandwidth is required for each bittorrent tracker? Nowhere I > have I seen this information.
I'm not sure, but since it is only tracking who is up/downloading which file, I wouldn't imagine it would be very much.
> > Secondly for people to be able to offer the package to the BT network, > that means they would have it on their hard drive, and be running an > active program to provide it 24x7.
There must be at least 1 person with the full file at all times, this is generally (but does not have to be), the tracker server.
> So far what I have seen of BT is that > it takes one program instance per tracked file. In that case things are > going to get very big, very fast.
Yes, it does. I'm not sure of the overhead of each instance, but I've come across sites with literally hundreds of files available.
> Additionally I certianly will not be > letting people eat the bandwidth that I pay for on my servers at work.
I'm not asking you to. Set your upload cap to 2K and your simultaneous uploads to 1 for all I care. You only need upload for as long as you are downloading. Or, don't use it at all.
> Some residential cable and DSL ISPs are also very anal about bandwidth > usage so that could cause serious issues there (a friends ISP limits him > to 1GiB/day).
Then he probably wouldn't want to use it. My ISP doesn't limit my usage, so I would use it.
> > Your idea would be wonderful if bandwidth were free, or at least > significently cheaper than it is now for much of the world.
But, in some parts of the world, it is pretty cheap, for those of us that HAVE cheap bandwidth, we could be using each others and let those of you with pay-by-the-minute access, small pipes, or bandwidth usage limits make better use of the mirrors. Everybody is happy :)