From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Versioning the tree
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 11:28:05
1 Hi,
2
3 There was a discussion a few weeks back about stopping system b0rkage; a
4 possible sol'n had been previously discussed on the fora, ie having the
5 tree in svn for easier branching. I understand from the recent ANNOUNCE by
6 Robin Johnson that svn access is now available, as well as anonymous CVS.
7 Kudos for all that work, guys.
8
9 >> Is it correct that versioning the tree would solve it by allowing various
10 >> releases to stick to lower versions of packages until they have been QAed
11 >> by the gentoo community?
12 Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert <at> gmail.com> wrote:
13 > Yes.
14 >
15 > The Gentoo package tree is a "live" tree - whatever we commit goes
16 > straight out to the rsync mirrors for users to download and use.
17 >
18 > Live trees are not compatible w/ a high quality product.
19