From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Segregating KDE?
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 09:15:38
1 On Saturday 18 September 2004 10:57, Anthony Gorecki wrote:
2 > If Gentoo is committed to offering users a large degree of customizability,
3 > wouldn't segregating the various KDE components lend itself to continuing
4 > the evolution of that flexibility? I would cheer at the ability to type
5 > "emerge kmail" rather than "emerge kdepim".
6
7 This defnitely should go onto our FAQ if we have one.
8
9 Please see bug #11123 for the previous discussion on the subject.
10
11 This is the key paragraph quoted from there:
12 A kde configure script takes as much as a minute or more to run. Today when
13 you emerge all of kde you run ~17 configure scripts, i.e. as much as 20
14 minutes goes there (of course everything depends on the speed of the
15 machine). If all kde-base packages are split into separate subpackage
16 ebuilds, you'll get hundreds of subpackags (200+). That means an extra 200
17 minutes -- 3.5 hours -- added to the compilation time of all of KDE. And most
18 people do want the whole of kde. This is unacceptable
19
20 That said, the recent config-cache patch to portage, if accepted, could make
21 this rather painless, so now this issue is finally worth raising again. (And
22 perhaps unsermake could also help somehow?) I haven't tried it out yet
23 though, so let's have some active KDE maintainer comment ;-)
26 Dan Armak
27 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
28 Matan, Israel
29 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
30 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951