From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: newsitem: unmasking udev-181
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 08:44:21
1 On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 09:53:25PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote
2
3 > Perhaps a suggestion for the news item. I'd recommend that anybody
4 > who needs an initramfs to mount /usr get that working BEFORE they
5 > upgrade udev. This situation is a heck of a lot easier to figure out
6 > if the system still can be booted when the initramfs doesn't work.
7
8 Question... does it have to be an initramfs, or can the vast majority
9 of simple cases be handled by a simple initscript in /bin or /sbin that
10 mounts /usr, and does whatever else is required, before handing off
11 control to /sbin/init.
12
13 I've migrated to mdev, so I won't be seeing this problem, but a simple
14 solution that works for 95% of users might be the way to go. For the
15 more complex situations, an initramfs will be necessary.
18 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>