From: Lina Pezzella <j4rg0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] virtual/gzip madness
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:36:31
1 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2
3 >On Monday 23 August 2004 15:09, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
6 >>If the package is in system, it should not DEPEND on it *unless* it
7 >>requires a specific version or specific package (in the case of a
8 >>virtual).
12 >I disagree. Making sure that packages have as accurate a list of DEPENDs as
13 >possible can only make life easier when porting Gentoo to userlands that are
14 >not Linux.
17 I would entirely agree on the second point there. System for macos has
18 very few things installed (gzip not among them) because a lot is
19 provided by MacOS. At this point in the game, where we are porting
20 Gentoo to non-Linux userlands, it is probably a bad idea to "assume"
21 much of anything.
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list