From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] missing ide discs mapping is udev's fault?
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 19:54:01
1 On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 08:31:12AM +0100, Christian Bricart wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > yesterday I've noticed, that some mappings in /dev/discs are missing on
5 > my machine.
6 > Actually I have an additional ATA controller with some discs attached.
7 > So I have /dev/hda through /dev/hdl which are ok. But the mappings to
8 > /dev/discs/discX with X > 7 are missing.
9 >
10 > Whose fault would that be in the first case? hot- or coldplug? udev?
11 > I've looked through /etc/udev/scripts/ide-devfs.sh but could not find
12 > anything wrong there so far.
13
14 If you are using the devfs-like udev compatibility scripts, sorry, but
15 you are on your own, as that naming scheme is not supported by anyone
16 anymore.
17
18 > I've noticed he missing mappings as e.g. /etc/init.d/hdparm loops
19 > through /dev/discs/discX to set params for all discs attached and thus
20 > misses the last two.
21 >
22 > I wanted to file a bug report, but I'm not certain if it's actually
23 > udev's fault.
24
25 bug reports are always the best way to handle this kind of thing.
26
27 thanks,
28
29 greg k-h