From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, pr@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item: changed default bedup configuration file in >=app-backup/burp-2.0.0
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 08:10:42
1 On 2017-04-19 17:39, Gokturk Yuksek wrote:
2
3 >> Display-If-Installed: app-backup/burp
4 > Wouldn't you wanna limit this to <2.0.54 ? Otherwise this will pop
5 > up for the consumers of 2.0.54 as well.
6 Might as well, although at present there is no 2.0.54.
7
8 >> /etc/burp/burp.conf .
9 > You have an extra '.' at the end.
10 Yes, it's a full stop at the end of the sentence. Come to think of it it
11 looks confusing though, I'll remove it.
12
13 > I think upstream using the new path is enough justification, do you
14 > really need to justify it any further?
15 It's not like that. Upstream has always used $sysconfdir/burp.conf , by
16 default however that file provides client-mode configuration and bedup
17 refuses to run unless it is pointed to a server-mode config file. Making
18 bedup use $sysconfig/burp-server.conf by default is achieved in burp-1
19 ebuilds through the means of a Gentoo patch.
20
21 > Maybe it's better to also provide a one-liner of 'mv' for people who
22 > just want to upgrade to the new path.
23 It is not the matter of the config file having been renamed, burp has
24 always come with both burp.conf and burp-server.conf.
25
26 > Overall, my impression is that people handle conf file changes in
27 > pkg_postinst() with REPLACING_VERSIONS rather than news items.
28 See above.
29
30 > How fatal are the consequences of not updating the conf file path?
31 > Would the program abort or misbehave?
32 Abort. Please note however that in a typical production scenario bedup
33 would be run periodically by cron or a similar tool, i.e. without admin
34 intervention, meaning that for everyone who doesn't review their logs
35 carefully backup deduplication would simply quietly stop working.
38 MS