From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Change or revert the "30 days maintainer timeout" stabilization policy
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 05:43:34
1 On 07/04/14 01:57, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
2 > On 04/02/2014 02:22 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 12:52 PM, Samuli Suominen
4 > <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
5 > >> The "30 days maintainer time out" stabilization policy isn't working
6 > >> when package has multiple SLOTs, because
7 > >> the bugs are filed for only latest SLOT, where as some packages require
8 > >> stabilization in sync at both SLOTs
9 > >>
10 > >> Option 1:
11 > >>
12 > >> Either revert the whole policy, and never CC arches on unanswered bugs
13 > >> when the package has a maintainer,
14 > >> and let him do it when he finds the time himself, and if that doesn't
15 > >> happen, wait until it's dropped to maintainer-needed@
16 > >>
17 > >> Option 2:
18 > >>
19 > >> Or, the person who is CCing the arches in 30 days timeout, needs to
20 > make
21 > >> sure the bug covers all SLOT at the same time
22 > >>
23 > >>
24 > >> The status quo no longer allows me to maintain stable version of
25 > >> dev-libs/girara, app-text/zathura*, and the issue needs
26 > >> to be addressed, see http://bugs.gentoo.org/502714 for what inspired
27 > >> this mail
28 > >>
29 > >> - Samuli
30 > >>
31 >
32 > > If you want to prevent packages from being "timed out", just leave a
33 > > comment on the bug saying so. If you don't even have time to do that
34 > > within a 30 day window, why are you the maintainer?
35 >
36 > > Another option would be to add some kind of notation to metadata.xml.
39 > I've long been a proponent of freeform notes in the metadata.
40
41 Like you said, doesn't suit this case.
42
43 > I think
44 > leaving a note in there is very helpful for developers, however, in this
45 > case unless the note is standardized and the auto-stable script is
46 > updated I fear this won't help anyone.
49 I agree, this is the best solution, something like
50 <automaticstable>no</automaticstable> that can
51 then be parsed by whatever scripts.
52 I could work with that, and to ease that, I believe it should be part of
53 the default metadata.xml template in a way of
54 'yes', so it can then be easily changed to 'no'
55 I'd just add it to dev-libs/girara, app-text/zathura,
56 app-text/zathura-meta, and everything it deps on, the plugins.
57 Also, to every package that has <herd>xfce</herd>
58 And to every package I maintain that's important for core system, say,
59 eg. libffi (albeit I've tried to push that particular
60 package to toolchain@ for a while now, but ChangeLog speaks for itself)
61
62 - Samuli