From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] News for Gentoo CI and pull request CI
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 22:13:56
1 Hi, everyone.
2
3 I'd like to make a short announcement that in the last few days I've
4 been using my little free time to hack on my CI scripts, and they had
5 a few major improvements. Most notably:
6
7 1. pkgcheck now checks for outdated Manifests. In other words,
8 gentoo-ci will most likely complain about missing or extraneous
9 Manifest entries before Infra does, and pull request checks should
10 complain loudly about them before the PRs are merged.
11
12 2. The scripts use XML output of pkgcheck and group issues by packages,
13 rather than grepping text output for failure indications
14 and considering successive lines a single failure. Which means better
15 output, better permalinks, better navigation and a completely new ugly
16 UI.
17
18 3. Most of the persisting issues (like deprecations) are skipped now,
19 and all the output fits on one page. And that page is usually easier on
20 the browser than each of the splits were.
21
22 4. gentoo-ci compares previous check results correctly, and splits
23 the output into three groups: new issues, previous issues and fixes
24 issues.
25
26 5. gentoo-ci bisects on new issues, pinpoints the exact commit
27 introducing the failure and CCs both the author and the committer.
28 In other words, does the hard work for me and does it more efficiently.
29 It also has nice bisect caching support which makes bisecting a number
30 of issues caused by the same commit very fast.
31
32 6. pull-request checks now distinguish between issues introduced by PR
33 and carried over from ::gentoo. Not that you should ignore the latter
34 entirely since they may hide additional issues from PR.
35
36 Most of this fun stuff came from a simple obvious thing that only
37 recently occurred to me: I don't have to run a full pkgcheck for
38 bisecting! I just need to check the packages that are failing
39 in the most recent commit!
40
41 Of course, the whole thing is open source:
42
43 1. https://bitbucket.org/mgorny/repo-mirror-ci
44
45 2. https://bitbucket.org/mgorny/pkgcheck-result-parser