From: Olivier Crete <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-web-user] Hardened PHP now in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 18:32:19
1 On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 07:26:34PM +0200, Olivier Crete wrote:
2 >>
3 >> There is at least one other guy who thinks that the handbook has
4 >> gotten way too long (me)...And foser is right on choice, too much is
5 >> worst that too little, because you end up not being able to find out
6 >> howto where to configure stuff.. Gentoo is all about choice and choice
7 >> is good.. But I dont want to have to go thourhg 800 use flags before I
8 >> can install a gentoo system.. I used to be able to run ufed and set
9 >> all of the use flags that I wanted for a system... I tried doing that
10 >> yesterday.. the list has just gotten out of proportion.
13 > You don't have to; that's my point. Local USE flags are intended to
14 > allow very specific tweaking when you absolutely need it -- they're not
15 > intended to be something you go through and stick in make.conf on your
16 > original install. In fact, you probably shouldn't put them in
17 > make.conf -- they should probably be consistently used in package.use
18 > instead.
19
20 The problem is that the current version of ufed just has all of the local
21 use flags... It probably needs to be fixed... And we'd probably need to
22 fix ufed and euse to put local use flags into package.use instead of
23 make.conf...
24
25 But still, I dont really want ot have to enable every codec by hand when
26 compile any video related application...
29 Olivier Crete
30 tester@g.o
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list