From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: fauli@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New USE_EXPAND: CLAWS_MAIL_PLUGINS
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 19:00:48
1 On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 23:38:44 +0200
2 Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > the upcoming Claws Mail release will have no separation between
5 > internal plugins (stuff that is built on mail-client/claws-mail with
6 > USE="crypt bogofilter") and external ones (all packages
7 > mail-client/claws-mail-*) anymore.
8 > All are now integrated, which would mean 21 additional USE flags for
9 > Claws or alternatively a new set of CLAWS_MAIL_PLUGINS which includes
10 > the old and new internal plugins.
11 >
12 > Any objections against the addition?
13
14 Wouldn't it be better to use the feature-intended USE flags and common
15 sense to provide the users with best possible experience? Use proper
16 USE flags for features which having switchable benefits user, and just
17 enable others unconditionally (with USE=-minimal, maybe).
18
19 This is, for example, how ekg2 ebuild does. It means that users need
20 not to be aware of exact plugin structure, and the global USE flags
21 help them in getting the features they expect. Since plugins can be
22 enabled and disabled dynamically from within the program, they still
23 have the full flexibility.
24
25 For example, I'd expect USE=gpg to bring me the GPG encryption support,
26 or USE=html to bring HTML message viewing support. Then we have flags
27 to further narrow down the engine choice, like USE=webkit. Use them
28 wisely and it will be much more helpful than claws_mail_plugin_gpg
29 and claws_mail_plugin_fancy.
32 Best regards,
33 Michał Górny