From: Frederik Pfautsch - fpprogs <frederik.pfautsch@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo LTS or: proper backward compatibility?
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2023 22:41:49
1 Am 04.01.23 um 23:00 schrieb m1027:
2 >
3 > Wow, wasn't aware of catalyst at all. What a beast in terms of
4 > control.
5 >
6 > (FYI: I enjoyed the links on catalyst you sent me directly.
7 > Unfortunatelly I cannot answer you directly due to the default TLS
8 > guarantee kicked in by my provider: "TLS is required, but was not
9 > offered by host". That's usually to be fixed on the receiving side.)
10 >
11 > While being able to build exact environments with catalyst I wonder
12 > how it could help fixing the issue of my original post. To sum up:
13 > Whenever we need to deliver a updated app to customers whose OS is
14 > too old (but updating it is too risky), we could either a) keep
15 > evenly outdated dev build OSes around forever (oh no!), or b) post
16 > our newly built app in a container (leaving the lovely native
17 > world); and both ignore the fact that customers wish maintenance of
18 > the entire OS actually, too. So, ideally, there is c): In a
19 > hypothetic case we would prepare a entire OS incl. our app (maybe
20 > via catalyst?) which would require a bootloader-like mini-OS on the
21 > customer's side, to receive updates over the internet, switch the OS
22 > at boot time, and fallback. I was recently playing with systemd-boot
23 > and it's interesting try-boot feature.
24
25 So essentially it sounds like you want something similar to Yocto / Poky
26 / Petalinux for the non-embedded world (and based on Gentoo of course;
27 it sounds like catalyst is something like that)?
28
29 Petalinux / Yocto is essentially a cross compiling environment with
30 rootfs, etc. And after everything has been built, the rootfs is just
31 packaged into a flashable ext4-image or something. So your devs wouldn't
32 need to work on a (slightly) outdated system, just use the (in this case
33 non-)cross-compiling environment with its own, separate rootfs. Is,
34 e.g., crossdev able to build a non-cross, native compiler? It already
35 provides a rootfs-folder and a separate emerge-config, etc...
36
37 Just throwing crazy ideas around, what about using net-boot for your
38 customer? This way they just need to store an image somewhere and can
39 update it whenever necessary. Or (ab-)using an initramfs. Or u-boot
40 bootloader, just like in the embedded world. Depending on the size of
41 the actual OS/rootfs, taking ideas from e.g. Android with their A/B
42 bootslots (i.e. two root-partitions or something, where one is active
43 and the other can be updated with clever scripts, after a reboot they
44 are swapped).

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature