From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] texlive cyrillic font : restrictive license
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 11:01:04
1 Hi,
2
3 while adding cyrillic packages for texlive I've come across a
4 restrictive license for the literat package.
8 === Begin ===
11 FONT PACKAGE LICENSE
12
13 Copyright (c) 1996 ParaGraph International
14 Copyright (c) 1996 Russian Foundation for Basic Research
15
16 Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
17 of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.
18
19 This is a free font package included into RFBR TeX distribution.
20 It contains four font shapes in three encodings:
21 - LaTeX T1 encoding
22 - LaTeX TS1 encoding
23 - ISO8859-5 encoding
24
25 In the folowing paragraphs "fonts" stands for Type 1 fonts together with
26 metric files and also any conversions and renderings of them.
27
28 You are allowed:
29 - to use fonts with any TeX distribution;
30 - to use fonts with any graphic editors for preparing pictures to be
31 included into TeX documents;
32 - to use fonts with other programs (such as WWW browsers) for
33 screening purpose only;
34 - to convert fonts into any format for above purposes;
35 - to include fonts into electronic documents (such as PDF) ;
36 - to distribute fonts together with RFBR TeX distribution.
37
38 In all cases you must make reference to this license.
39
40 Note: Use of these fonts as platform fonts in graphic environments such
41 as Microsoft Windows, OS/2 Presentation Manager, X Window, etc.
42 permitted according to above rules.
43
44 You are not allowed:
45 - to make any changes to font and metric files, including reencoding;
46 - to use fonts for hardcopy making with any programs except TeX drivers;
47 - to distribute this fonts as an independent package;
48
49 If you concerned in further development of this font family and if you
50 try to improve it by adding new or correcting existing character
51 glyphs, you must do all your work locally and you must send all your
52 changes to addresses given below. Be sure that further improvements
53 will be distributed under terms of this license. You may not distribute
54 neither fonts under development nor documents including such fonts.
55
56 CONTACTING ADDRESSES:
57
58 ParaGraph International:
59 32 Krasikova street, 19th floor
60 Moscow 117418 Russia
61 phone: + 7 (095) 129-1500
62 fax: + 7 (095) 129-0911
63 http://www.paragraph.com
67 === End ===
70 As it'll be distributed with texlive ebuilds I think it's fine, but I
71 find the license a bit restrictive so I've not added the package for
72 now.
73
74 Is that license acceptable for us ?
75 If yes, that'll be trivial to re-add the package.
78 Regards,
79
80 Alexis.