From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: perl-module.eclass: respect CFLAGS, LDFLAGS - please review
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 13:02:33
1 Andreas K. Huettel posted on Sun, 22 Jun 2014 11:41:01 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > Also people familiar with Perl have voiced doubts if we should meddle
4 > with the perl-module CFLAGS and LDFLAGS at all, maybe making these
5 > changes conditional on something like I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING. Hoping for
6 > comments.
7
8 The usual conditional for that is USE=custom-cflags or a similar variant
9 like custom-optimization. See the firefox ebuilds, which use both.
10
11 $ equery -N u firefox | grep custom
12 - - custom-cflags : Build with user-specified CFLAGS (unsupported)
13 + + custom-optimization : Fine-tune custom compiler optimizations (-Os,
14 -O0, -O1, -O2, -O3)
17 Generally, such USE flags are discouraged in gentoo, where honoring a
18 user's CFLAGS, etc. and letting them keep the pieces if it comes to that
19 is the norm. Where upstream refuses to support custom cflags, however,
20 the USE flag solution seems to be an accepted at maintainer discretion.
21
22 (FWIW I have USE=custom-cflags set globally, but package.use-disabled it
23 for firefox when firefox-28 or so decided it didn't like the ones I was
24 using. At some point I'll probably go back and figure out which one it
25 is and filter it specifically, but unsetting that USE flag was both a
26 useful first-step debug and a reasonable quick fix for the time being.)
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman