From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
Cc: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, licenses <licenses@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Adding 'GPL-2-only', 'GPL-3-only' etc. license variants for better auditing
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 23:39:14
1 >>>>> On Sun, 22 Sep 2019, Matt Turner wrote:
2
3 > We are all aware. But the point is to explicitly put "-only" in the
4 > LICENSE metadata so that ebuild authors are less likely to confuse
5 > GPL-2 vs GPL-2+.
6
7 I don't see how renaming could possibly help with that.
8
9 >> Plus, it would result in paradoxical entries like "|| ( GPL-2-only
10 >> GPL-3-only )" for a package that can be distributed under GPL
11 >> versions 2 or 3 but no later version.
12
13 > That paradoxical entry is pretty clear to me.
14
15 Not the same thing. "GPL-2-only+" might be clear as well, which doesn't
16 imply that it isn't paradoxical.
17
18 > It's not a one-time audit. Michał has a history of fixing things in
19 > ways that does not allow the issue to return. I imagine that's what
20 > he's doing here, and it would not surprise me at all if something
21 > could be wired into CI to help ensure this.
22
23 If it's not a one time audit, it implies that we will permanently have
24 three variants. This would be a lot of effort, for a tiny gain. After
25 all, there is absolutely no difference in ACCEPT_LICENSE filtering
26 between GPL-2 and GPL-2+.
27
28 > Trivial concern solved with a news item.
29
30 As I've said before, if the intent is to do a tree-wide audit, then
31 this should be done in a way that has no impact on users. For example,
32 by adding a comment, instead of changing the LICENSE variable.
33
34 Ulrich