From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Warn users not to do separate /usr partition without proper initramfs in the handbook?
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 19:05:23
1 On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 11:57:14AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh posted on Sat, 30 Jul 2011 11:46:00 +0100 as excerpted:
3 >
4 > > It's important to consider the timeline here. Separate /usr was
5 > > accidentally broken by a sudden increase in dependencies from base
6 > > system packages to desktopy things. It was only later that certain
7 > > people decided that "oh, separate /usr is a bad idea anyway", and they
8 > > did so because they couldn't figure out how to fix the mess they'd
9 > > caused. This is very much a case of carelessly letting the horse escape
10 > > and then trying to convince everyone that no-one needs a horse anyway...
11 >
12 > ++
13
14 I tend to agree with this due to the reasons posted in this thread. I
15 think we should be very cautious about making a change that requires an
16 initrd just for separate /usr.
17
18 I'm a co maintainer of udev, so let me see if I can come up with
19 something when the next udev is released. I want to try to work out a way
20 to do this in udev-postmount.
21
22 William