From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc 0.12 - netifrc/newnet mix-up
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 23:43:40
1 On 12/05/2013 05:30 AM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 06:46:36PM +0200, Samuli Suominen wrote:
4 >>> seems like a virtual that wouldn't do anything useful except pull in
5 >>> random package(s) a la binary-distribution style
6 >>
7 >> What about the stages? Don't we need some form of net support in
8 >> stage 3?
11 > That's debatable. For a typical install, the user has to install other
12 > basic stuff like a boot loader, kernel, etc. So having them also
13 > select a network config framework seems logical.
14 >
15 > Is there a use case for a stage3 in which installing netifrc by hand
16 > is impractical?
17 >
18 Well ...
19
20 I remember filing a bug quite a while ago because we didn't have a dhcp
21 client included anymore. This made installs quite annoying because
22 before it was stage3, kernel, bootloader, go!
23
24 And now it was go ... stop ... reboot ... install dhcp client ...
25 grremblwrrxrmkrxtlmrrrg .... reboot
26
27 That extra step of whining was loud enough to have openrc fixed to be
28 able to use busybox udhcp, so that "out of the box" most network worked.
29
30 ... and now people are trying to do the same again.
31
32 I would STRONGLY recommend having a working network setup included in
33 stage3, so that compared to now nothing changes.