From: Mikko Moilanen <baldor@××××××.fi>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: KDE 'child' packages (separate ebuilds for konqueror kmail etc.)
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 05:49:15
1 On Monday 13 May 2002 10:01, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > The problem is that while every 'child' package only compiles and installs
4 > the relevant files, it still needs to run the complete configure script of
5 > its parent package. In the admittedly worst-case example of kdebase, the
6 > script takes ~1.5 minutes to execute on my P3-900. kdebase has 39 child
7 > packages, so emerging kdebase with the new setup (i.e. emerging all child
8 > packages) will take about an hour longer than emerging a monolithic kdebase
9 > takes now - worse for slower computers.
10 >
11 > Most users won't accept this tradeoff of compile time for flexibility. So
12 > if you have an alternative solution, please suggest it. Otherwise there
13 > won't be any kde child packages. Speak now or remain forever silent :-)
14
15 I think that flexibility is more important than short compile time. For me it
16 took more than 12 hours to compile KDE and X (PII@400, 128Mt, 1,7Gt). So if
17 it takes an hour more, I dont care. Also I think that it would be nice if
18 people can choose to take only something from mighty KDE project, not all.
19
20 Oh, and thankyou for so very much of doing extreamly great job! :D
24 Mikko