From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] RFC: Graveyard project
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 22:48:08
1 Am 14.02.2013 22:55, schrieb Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina:
2 > On 02/14/2013 04:31 AM, Ben de Groot wrote:
3 >> Hi guys and girls,
4 >
5 >> We hereby announce the formation of the Graveyard project [1]. It aims
6 >> to provide users with an overlay for packages removed from portage.
7 >> Users are expressly invited to partake in this project, to help
8 >> maintain the graveyard overlay [2]. We will also help organize a
9 >> central space to host distfiles that are no longer mirrored by Gentoo
10 >> and have a broken upstream link. We use the #gentoo-dev-help channel
11 >> on Freenode for coordination, as well as our project space on the wiki
12 >> [3].
13 >
14 > What exactly is wrong with the current cvs attic space? I've salvaged
15 > old ebuilds and it was a completely painless process.
18 The attic is not a ready-to-use overlay. Part of the idea is to remove
19 the effort of keeping local overlays. Why revive a package N times when
20 one time is sufficient?
21
22 Besides, distfiles for ebuilds in the attic are probably no longer
23 mirrored and for dead upstreams, they might not exist anywhere else, either.
24
25 > Things that have been treecleaned were not just haphazardly removed,
26 > there is typically very good (often security or complete build failure
27 > related) reasons for this to happen. Running an overlay of old,
28 > outdated, unbuildable, security vulnerable software... I know there is
29 > no formal process for rejecting a gentoo project but even this idea
30 > makes me want to get council approval for an extension to the gentoo
31 > project guidelines.
34 There have been at least three discussions on what is to be treecleaned
35 and what not in the past few months. I don't think we have to re-iterate
36 them. Suffice to say there are more than enough cases where a) no dev
37 wants to maintain a package anymore, b) a case can be made that the
38 package should not be left rotting in tree and c) someone might still
39 have use for the package.
40
41 There is simply an unsolvable disagreement between those who want a
42 slick and well maintained tree and those who view the sheer size of the
43 tree as one of Gentoo's assets. In this way. the whole discussion
44 reminds me of the deletionism debate on Wikipedia [1] with the
45 difference that here there is an easy compromise. So why not make it?
46
47 > If users want to salvage things from the cvs attic and put them into
48 > SUNRISE after fixing them up I'm fine with it, but the whole idea of
49 > this is bad for gentoo developers, bad for gentoo users, bad for gentoo
50 > image, I just don't see a single advantage to this and so many
51 > disadvantages.
54 Why is the overlay bad for anyone? No dev is forced to contribute to it
55 and no user has to activate it. There are dozens of overlays out there
56 which are not meant to be activated unless you know what you are doing.
57 I don't see how this can affect Gentoo's image (as observed by whom,
58 anyway?). I mean, it's no different than the attic, just more
59 convenient. It's just one more niche in this great Gentoo ecosystem.
60 kde-sunset isn't hurting anyone, either.
61
62 [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deletionism_and_inclusionism_in_Wikipedia
63
64 Regards,