From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: wxWindows@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new old eclass - wxwidgets.eclass
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 04:45:45
1 Hello,
2
3 On E, 2007-09-24 at 21:14 -0600, Ryan Hill wrote:
4 > since everyone is getting into the reviewing mood, i thought it
5 > would be a good time to get some opinions on the wxwidgets
6 > eclass rewrite i've done.
9 I figured I'd reply to the old review request on the list instead of
10 doing this privately, so here we go.
11
12 The notes are based on the latest eclass located at
13 http://overlays.gentoo.org/dev/dirtyepic/browser/eclass/wxwidgets.eclass
14 at current revision 6:
15
16 * I just assume the documentation markup for the new way of doing eclass
17 documenting is good. The documentation text itself seems mostly good, if
18 maybe not so professional. Some nitpicking:
19
20 ** Ebuilds are also required set the global -> s/required/required to/?
21
22 ** The description gives the impression we support installation of
23 release/debug side-by-side - don't think this is true. Maybe we should
24 think about a way for users to be able to set their own wx-config to a
25 debug build, but have the system USE flag dependent. Hmm... Maybe I
26 should revise my stance on debug + release co-existance in some form
27
28 ** Once 2.8 is in, we should update the simple usage example to that
29
30 ** With EAPI=1 SLOT depends can be used now, but as wx is always with a
31 version and SLOT matching a way that * wildcard can be used, it's fine
32 to not require things to use EAPI=1 indeed I'd say. Just noting.
33
34 ** In simple usage example I would rather refer to RDEPEND, not DEPEND,
35 or both
38 * Perhaps we should take care of setting the wxGTK DEPEND and RDEPEND
39 ourselves based on a WX_GTK_VER in ebuilds global scope? Might cause
40 problems for things using wx conditionally for some optional GUI.
41 Talking of which, it seems it already relies on global scope - does that
42 work fine with conditional wx usage? need-wxwidgets for that, I guess?
43 What's the view on eclasses touching DEPEND/RDEPEND these days, anyway?
44
45 * Taking care of DEPEND and RDEPEND in the eclass itself could allow us
46 to migrate things over to wxBase package in the future without any
47 ebuild migration work, once we fix upstream configure.in to work with a
48 system provided wxBase libraries and not have file collisions. However
49 this probably requires a global variable for base-ansi/base-unicode
50 passing instead of a need-wxwidgets function for that to be possible to
51 work out
52
53 * I hate any unconditional compiler flags workarounds, such as
54 "append-flags -fno-strict-aliasing". I have some long pending upstream
55 work to do to simply fix it in that one header where it makes noise and
56 once that finally gets resolved (or maybe it already is in 2.8), we have
57 no reason to keep passing this, as to my knowledge it also means less
58 optimization chances for gcc. Do we have a plan on how to get rid of
59 that CFLAGS append once the user is dealing with a wx library that has
60 this fixed?
61 At least this isn't the configure argument mess we used to have in
62 wxlib.eclass where you'd get some important class configured out just
63 because it was broken in an old version :)
64
65 * Are you sure we want to ewarn unconditionally on all need-wxwidgets
66 function calls?
67
68 * What's with the TODO on _wxerror() and the function?
69
70 The previous points encompass mostly only things noted while going over
71 the code - I have yet to look at it with a logic and interaction sense.
72 I figured I'll get this current list off my hands before I get sunk into
73 work.
76 Many many thanks for pushing wxGTK forwards while I'm occupied with
77 work, gnome stuff... and procrastinating
80 Mart Raudsepp
81 Gentoo Developer
82 Mail: leio@g.o
83 Weblog: http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/leio