From: Matthew Bandy <mbandy@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] undocumented installation gotcha
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 02:23:57
1 I may have missed a kernel option somewhere, but it seems to me that
2 the gentoo-sources kernel supports hard drives larger than 137GB,
3 while the xfs-sources kernel does not. This bit me trying to install
4 using XFS on a 160GB drive, because the install saw the disk as the
5 full 160GB, while my newly built xfs-sources kernel saw only the first
6 137GB, and I ended up with a non-bootable system because it couldn't
7 find init. It might help someone else in the same situation out to
8 add a warning covering this problem to the installation
9 documentation -- I didn't realize what was causing the problem until I
10 had already reinstalled using ext3 and gentoo-sources and then tried
11 to switch to 2.4.18.
12
13 -- Matt Bandy mbandy@×××××××××××××××.com