From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: revisiting our stabilization policy
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 03:16:09
1 Tom Wijsman posted on Tue, 28 Jan 2014 14:11:48 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 [Seven J. Long wrote...]
4
5 >> There's plenty of ways to stay on the bleeding-edge; throwing out the
6 >> baby with the bathwater will only tip you over it, and bork the distro
7 >> for the rest of us, and everyone down the line.
8 >
9 > Why do we have the baby in the first place?
10
11 IOW, it's not throwing the "baby" out with the bathwater any longer, as
12 the "baby" long ago died of old age and is now a decaying corpse; there's
13 no "baby" to throw out any longer!
14
15 Going with the analogy, that package has become an adult, grown old, got
16 sick, died, and now there are rather obvious and smelly signs of decay!
17 The neighbors complained (filed bugs) about the smell and when the
18 authorities investigated they found the decaying body (the bugs are
19 blocked pending removal of a long dead and should be gone version)!
20
21 Yet some slow arch is insisting the corpse is not only alive and well,
22 but that it's still married to it, and the people coming to try and take
23 it away to the morgue aka VCS archives as part of the becoming-a-biohazard
24 cleanup (removing the package, thus unblocking those blocked bugs) are
25 somehow abusing their authority!
26
27 Until the body becomes a biohazard (long dead package presence blocking
28 bug resolution), it's arguably the business of the deluded husband still
29 refusing to believe the death of his wife, but once it becomes a biohazard
30 the rest of the community is now threatened as well and something must be
31 done, thus this thread.
32
33 [OK, the analogy triggered my imagination and I went with it...]
38 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman