From: David Leverton <levertond@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 00:30:12
1 On 14 March 2012 23:44, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
2 > Oh, and somehow "consensus" will work?  No, sorry, it will not.
3
4 No, logical analysis will, as I said in the rest of my post which you
5 conveniently ignored - either we conclude with evidence that there are
6 no issues, which should settle the matter for reasonable people, or we
7 discover that there are, in which case they have to be dealt with one
8 way or another. I really don't see how anyone can object to that,
9 unless they're worried they won't like the result....
10
11 > How about the basic FACT that today, such systems do not work
12
13 This is debatable at best. You can keep screaming "but bluetooth
14 won't work!" until you're blue in the face, but that's not relevant at
15 all to people who don't use bluetooth.
16
17 > and are not supported by a wide range of packages we support today.
18
19 Isn't such support being removed by the same people who keep arguing
20 that it's already not supported? That's like cutting half your
21 employees' pay, and then insisting that you have to choice but to cut
22 the other half's pay as well, in order to be fair.
23
24 > Yes, some people are "lucky" in that their systems don't have those
25 > packages, but others are not.  The simple "I use a bluetooth keyboard"
26 > is one such example.
27
28 People who only have a bluetooth keyboard can set their systems up in
29 such a way that it works, just like how people who have / on lvm can
30 set their systems up in such a way that that works. That's not in
31 itself a reason to force it on everyone.
32
33 > It is strange to watch people somehow think that if they complain
34 > enough, or feel strongly enough, something is going to change here to
35 > make this basic fact go away.
36
37 If by "the basic fact" you mean that plenty of people are quite happy
38 doing what's worked just fine for years, then yes.