From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LibreSSL import plan
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 15:48:00
1 On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 15:22:40 +0200 hasufell wrote:
2 > On 09/30/2015 02:10 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
3 > > On 09/30/2015 01:51 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> I think it was fair to pause to see if somebody could come up with
6 > >> a better solution that allows co-existence, but absent that I
7 > >> don't see any benefit from keeping libressl out of the tree.
8 > >> We'll just experience all the downsides of the fork without the
9 > >> upsides.
10 > >
11 > > This is what worries me as well, as it increase workload and
12 > > complexity affecting multiple projects without any immediate and
13 > > obvious gain.
16 > I'm not sure if you have followed the link I just posted:
17 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreSSL#Security_and_vulnerabilities
18 >
19 > 0 vs 5 high severity vulnerabilities is a pretty obvious gain.
20
21 This is a poor argument, because user base of libressl is much
22 smaller than of openssl, so probability of undiscovered issues is
23 higher for libressl than for openssl. Yes, libressl is good at
24 fixing openssl long-standing issues (e.g. dropping outdated code),
25 but they may have their own critical vulnerabilities in some new
26 functions, not present in openssl. Anyway diversity is very good
27 for security: not everything will be affected by critical issues.
28
29 The only thing bothers me that we will end up with two major
30 packages demanding ssl implementation which can't be installed at
31 the same time. While for now we tend to postpone solution of such
32 problem, it is only matter of time when we'll face it. Perhaps
33 static linking for one of the libraries will do the job, despite
34 it sounds crasy.
35
36 Still, we can go ahead and introduce some mechanism forcing static
37 linking with libressl for consumer apps if user demands this.
38
39 Best regards,
40 Andrew Savchenko