From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: crossdev and multilib interference
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 08:38:46
1 On Fri, Jun 20, 2014, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 > On 19/06/14 05:20 PM, Steven J. Long wrote:
3 > > Well I've spent far too long at crossdev code, only to see this and
4 > > realise you can simply hard-mask:
5 > > cross-i686-pc-linux-gnu/{binutils,gcc,glibc,pkg-config} in the
6 > > amd64 multilib profile, unless I'm missing something. You'd be
7 > > hard-pushed to install a clashing crossdev with such a mask,
8 > > afaict.
9 > >
10 > > If you do want to change crossdev[1], afaict you're looking at
11 > > interaction between toolchain.eclass (and toolchain-binutils, and
12 > > likely -funcs), crossdev and gcc-config. I could well be wrong, as
13 > > ever. This is just my preliminary understanding, and maybe it'll
14 > > provoke a more thorough explanation. [ Snip! ]
15 >
16 > Thank you for the explanation and research!
17
18 YW :-) shove autotools.eclass (and supporting) in there too, including
19 multiprocessing which had a simply painful attempt at cleverness.
20 I mentioned it in #gentoo-embedded when i saw it, so hopefully it'll
21 be corrected soon. (bashpid() function: if you can't see why it's
22 painfully embarrassing, /join #bash and ask.)
23
24 > Tangental to this, mgorny wrote a little tool yesterday that might
25 > work well as an alternative to crossdev for multilib systems. It
26 > simply wraps all the native toolchain calls with proper -m and
27 > provides the new CTARGETs.
28 >
29 > If anybody wants to take a look, this is the link he posted on -dev :
30 >
31 > <dead url>
32 >
33 > Whether or not this suits everyone's needs for an i686 crossdev on
34 > amd64 systems, i don't know. Thoughts?
35
36 It's more layer upon layer, I'm afraid. Though that file's gone from
37 the repo, so I imagine it's already made its way to join the rest of
38 the misguided hackery that is multilib. Still, it's good that his
39 bash has come on, though he's still too tricksy for his own good;
40 likely trying to emulate Frysinger, another one who needs a nice
41 lie-down sometimes, instead of banging out more. Idiot house-"styles"
42 will do that to you, as will C++.
43
44 I don't know why we can't just mask cross-*/whatever in the multilib
45 profile, instead of more talk of "masking crossdev" with a heavy
46 heart.
47
48 Nor do know if that's been done already, as I just found that the
49 profiles directory Changelog stopped in 2013, for some reason, and
50 I don't have time to chase the files right now.
51
52 Sorry for delay, been away and then busy. I was hoping to read
53 something more than "mask crossdev" yet again, when I got back.
54
55 Regards,
56 igli.
57 --
58 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)