From: Corey Shields <cshields@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 23:17:43
1 On Monday 31 October 2005 09:17 am, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > Implementing --news will take time. Implementing more news on our site
3 > now takes little work and can be easily done. Outside of these two
4 > options, what is better? I'd say a constant reminder in the GWN would be
5 > helpful. Maybe we could add a big news warning in the next minor portage
6 > update that when you tells you about the new news features (perhaps a
7 > big einfo after you upgrade.
8 >
9 > I know thats not the best solution either, but I dont' foresee --news
10 > becoming a reality for a while.
11
12 I disagree that beefing up website news will get the word out. The people who
13 complain to me personally about major changes that they did not know about
14 are the type of people who are not checking this sort of thing anyway. The
15 last time I remember paying attention to the website news myself was to
16 double check a post that I had made.. long ago.
17
18 Something like --news is bound to reach every admin and sounds like the best
19 way to go. Adding more news to the site is just going to push news that
20 really matters off the front page quicker and cause possible problems with
21 more and more people committing broken xml news items.
22
23 What are going to be the criteria for posting such a news item? We could have
24 20+ posts a day just saying "Version bump, w00t!".
25
26 As for the earlier comment on this thread: "Yes it will, because when a new
27 users visits the front page for the first time to install Gentoo, they will
28 see the important notices there and put a note in the back of their heads
29 about it." (Chris White) What are you going to do to inform the people
30 upgrading their system that they installed 3 years ago? Sure, they may have
31 read the front page when they installed it. Are they going to want to have
32 to read a web site on -every- upgrade? no.
33
34 -C
37 Corey Shields
38 Gentoo Linux Infrastructure Team