From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] An official Gentoo wiki
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 00:05:21
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:45:32 -0500
Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o> wrote:

> So, went down for a awhile and took something away from > our users something that is useful. Its back now, but I think we should > consider having our own official wiki that our users can contribute to. > We already have something very similar to this on the forums, and this > would just give the correct tool to put their documentation on. > > I already know some people are going to hate this idea and say that the > documentation could be wrong, etc, so lets look at how others have > handled this situation. It seems that Ubuntu has their own official > documentation section and a community section where users can contribute > to. We can put a nice big warning saying that the user documentation > may have some errors, and that any such errors should not be directed at > the maintainers of the package or the GDP. > > What are others feelings on this? What issues do you see with having a > wiki? Do you see anyway to resolve the issue you see with us having a > wiki? >
I'm for it. I think the positives --- more communications paths, community building, providing something our users want --- outweigh the negatives (entries might be incorrect or irrelevant or whatever). I think it's understood that contributions might contain errors, but the can be corrected. I don't know about Ubuntu's community section, but I do find Wikipedia very useful even though I know it might be wrong. :)
Regards, Ferris -- Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o> Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Userrel, Trustees)