From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Reducing the size of the system package set
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 01:03:02
1 Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò kirjoitti:
2 > Here comes the official proposal, copy and paste from my blog with an
3 > extra post scriptum at the end.
4 >
5 > I already ranted about the fact that the dependency tree of our ebuilds
6 > is vastly incomplete, as many lack dependency on zlib; trying to get
7 > this fixed was impossible, as Donnie and other insisted that as zlib was
8 > in system, we shouldn’t depend on it at all. I disagree, and I would
9 > like to know why we can’t depend on a system package, but whatever.
10
11 At least one reason is that otherwise lots of ebuild submissions would
12 have coreutils/gcc/libc/whatever in DEPEND/RDEPEND.
15 > But why autoconf and automake? Well the easy answer is that those are
16 > often used without making sure they are depended upon explicitly… or at
17 > least this was the case till me and Martin added autotools.eclass to the
18 > tree; nowadays all the ebuilds using autotools should have proper
19 > autoconf/automake dependency already, and if they don’t they are broken
20 > anyway. So why leaving them in system? And what about m4? m4 is not part
21 > of a common Unix system, it’s just an autoconf dependency, why isn’t it
22 > just an autoconf dependency?
25 IMHO these could be removed from the system set. But likely the packages
26 left in there would pull it to the stages any way.
29 > P.S.:
30 >
31 > So there are more things that were brought to my attention, like ssh,
32 > flex, bison, e2fsprogs, and so on. We should probably look into what to
33 > keep, rather than what to remove.
36 Well e2fsprogs provides fsck so it's a dep of baselayout. But it
37 wouldn't hurt to cleanup the list even if it doesn't get them removed
38 from stages. I don't know about other system packages but at least
39 baselayout is not really depending on much atm.
40
41 Regards,
42 Petteri