From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: revisiting our stabilization policy
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 07:58:33
1 On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:02 PM, <grozin@g.o> wrote:
2 > Sorry for following up myself,
3 >
4 >
5 > On Fri, 17 Jan 2014, grozin@g.o wrote:
6 >>
7 >> OK, let's be conservative. Python and Perl scripts may break on some
8 >> arches (I'd say it's a rare exception, perhaps 1%, but still). But what
9 >> about
10 >>
11 >> dev-java/java-sdk-docs
12 >> dev-db/postgresql-docs
13 >> sys-kernel/linux-docs
14 >> dev-dotnet/gtk-sharp-docs
15 >> app-xemacs/general-docs
16 >> dev-util/kdevelop-php-docs
17 >> dev-util/gnome-devel-docs
18 >> app-vim/phpdocs
19 >> gnome-extra/gnome-user-docs
20 >> gnome-extra/gnome-getting-started-docs
21 >> dev-php/smarty-docs
22 >> dev-python/python-docs
23 >> dev-python/cheetah-docs
24 >> app-doc/php-docs
25 >> app-doc/root-docs
26 >> app-doc/geant-docs
27 >> app-doc/blas-docs
28 >> app-doc/lapack-docs
29 >> app-doc/gnucash-docs
30 >> app-office/abiword-docs
31 >> dev-lisp/hyperspec
32 >> sys-apps/man-pages[-*]
33 >>
34 >> and maybe others? They contain no scripts which can possibly break. I'd
35 >> say they should be keyworded on all arches as soon as they are keyworded on
36 >> the first arch; the same goes for stabilization. I'd include also packages
37 >> containing only TeX/LaTeX code - TeX behaves identically on all arches, this
38 >> was and is its main strength. Also, probably, python/perl/ruby interpreted
39 >> scripts *which don't load extra libraries* work identically on all arches
40 >> not in 99% of cases but in 99.99% (0.01% is for cases when the interpreter
41 >> is broken on a given arch).
42 >
43 > Maybe, a good solution is to introduce a special arch, "noarch", for such
44 > packages (similar to what's done in the rpm world). Then, if a package is
45 > ~noarch, it is automatically considered ~arch for all arches. Similar for
46 > stable. The maintainer should be able to keyword ~noarch and to stabilize
47 > noarch. Comments?
48 >
49 > Andrey
50
51 There's been opposition to this in the past, but I'm in favor of
52 giving this a shot.