From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Banning modification of pkg-config files
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 22:00:27
1 On Mon, 12 May 2014 23:43:34 +0200
2 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Yeah, it's tricky; this makes me think, can't we perhaps install them
5 > in a separate directory that pkg-config could check?
6
7 A quick collective brainstorm on IRC gives the idea that this is not
8 worth the effort, as this imposes patching multiple packages, as well as
9 migrating the deferring packages to it; for the sake of introducing
10 INSTALL_MASK supported breakage, where one could grep for the packages
11 that install .pc files and add the more specific paths to INSTALL_MASK.
12
13 Another idea that came up is to only have this separate directory be
14 read by the ebuild environment, such that it doesn't affect users that
15 are developers and mistakenly use the .pc files in their own program;
16 but such support would introduce overcomplex behavior in the ebuild
17 environment of Portage, which is already enough complex as it is.
20 With kind regards,
21
22 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
23 Gentoo Developer
24
25 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
26 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
27 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D