From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] validity of manifest signing key
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 18:59:44
1 On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 >> > it says here http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gnupg-user.xml#doc_chap2
3 >> > that the validity should be <6 month.  What is the protocol when the
4 >> > expiry date is approaching?
5 >>
6 >> I'd say that should be changed. With keys changing every half a year,
7 >> we're soon going to have a tree spammed with Manifests signed using
8 >> expired keys.
9 >
10 > Correct me if I'm wrong, but that does not invalidate the signature (if it was made before expiration).
11
12 it does not. the only thing that matters when checking signatures is
13 that the key was valid *when the signature was made*. the fact that
14 you're checking the signature years after the key expired is
15 irrelevant.
16 -mike