From: "vivo75@×××××.com" <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC how to handle disappearing USE in (portage) dependency calculation
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 11:29:24
1 Hi everybody,
2 sometimes a package depend from another with a particular USE flag
3 turned on, example llvm-3.2 on dev-libs/udis86 +pic
4 Sometimes a new ebuild can change IUSE, indeed udis86-1.7-r1 removed pic
5 use which was present in 1.7-r0.
6
7 This RFC is to understend what we (you actually) want the packages
8 manager to do in this situation, as I see it there are mainly two options.
9
10 1) when consider the dependency _always_ satisfied, if the requested USE
11 is not in IUSE.
12 this will make user life easier, since portage now barf conflicts but
13 the "wrong" dependency goes unnoticed and nobody will clean the ebuilds.
14
15 2) error out always, both if requested USE flag should have been enabled
16 or not, since it's a bug and should be fixed.
17 emerge -uDavNt will not that easy but the tree is cleaner as a
18 consequence, also the developer are forced^Wencouraged to look at the
19 reason the USE flag disappeared analizing if their package will continue
20 to work.
21
22 finally the depend in llvm ebuild has this form:
23 DEPEND="udis86? ( dev-libs/udis86[pic(+)] )"
24 and the diff between udis86 ebuilds is like this:
25 -IUSE="pic test"
26 +IUSE="test"
27
28 best regards,