From: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP #15 - a gentoo script repository.
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:53:06
1 On Wednesday 15 October 2003 10:57 am, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > I missed the original thread on this GLEP, so apologies for the delay in
3 > responding.
4 >
5 > For those who missed the original discussion as well, please see this
6 > thread:
7 >
8 > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/12750
9 >
10 > So, let me start by saying that I support the idea behind this GLEP, though
11 > I would like to see some modifications made and some questions answered
12 > before approving it.
13 >
14 > Some comments in no particular order:
15 >
16 > * I dislike the idea of making this a plain page. For it to be effective,
17 > I think it needs to have some searching and filtering capabilities
18 > straight away.
19
20 Okay, I didn't know what type of infrastructure commitment we could expect so
21 I was shooting for the most simple thing. Something that work on the existing
22 webnodes.
25 > One thing I'm not willing to do is simply throw a page up there and let
26 > people start contributing scripts. This will *quickly* become
27 > unmanageable and unusable. If we're going to do this, we need to design
28 > it correctly from the start.
29
30 Understandable, I'll get something worked up and put it on my site for
31 perusal. As per discussion on irc, I'll stick with python/php and mysql
34 > * Rather than including this in another project page, such as tools or
35 > base, I'd rather see this as a standalone application, personally. Say,
36 > scripts.gentoo.org. This is largely a personal preference and I'm open
37 > to discussing it, however. I just feel that this doesn't fit neatly into
38 > the mandate of tools and/or base and it would see more use as a
39 > standalone app similar to the (now dead, but soon to be reborn)
40 > stats.gentoo.org. Other projects could link to specific sections from
41 > their pages as they wished.
42 >
43 > * "A scripts@g.o email alias would be setup and forwarded to the
44 > team that will accept and publish these scripts to the website."
45 >
46 > Who is this team? This needs to be in place and functioning before this
47 > GLEP can be approved.
48
49 Well, so far I have about 4 people who are interested in working on this, and
50 I'm sure more will raise their hands.
53 > * In addition to being divided by task, this app also needs to be able to
54 > filter by language (python, shell, perl, etc.) See the first bullet
55 > point.
56
57 okay, will do
60 > * There need to be standards and guidelines on what is required to have a
61 > script be included in the repository. Chief among these standards must
62 > be documentation about how the script works, what it does, any special
63 > requirements, etc.
64
65 agreed, I was going to require a usage blurb and long description for
66 everything, and show that just below each script
69 > * I would really, really like to see some sort of interactive application
70 > where users could make comments on various scripts. For a perfect
71 > example of what I'm referring to, see PHP's documentaion:
72 >
73 > http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.date.php
74 >
75 > Specifically, the user contributed notes at the bottom. IMO, I think
76 > this is the perfect interface for a scripts.gentoo.org type application.
77
78 that sounds like a good plan, I'll look and see if I can find the code for it,
79 and see if there is anything I can steal, I mean borrow.
82 > * Who all is going to build this? The folks behind the scripts@g.o
83 > alias? Someone else?
84
85 I haven't found a web programmer yet, so I'll probably do the rough draft
88 > So, basically, I think the idea is great and am willing to support it from
89 > an infrastructure perspective. If there are people willing to devote the
90 > elbow grease necessary to put this together, then great.
91
92 Excellent! I'll let you know when I've got something for you to look at.
93
94 --Iggy
97 > --kurt
101 Home -- http://www.brianandsara.net