From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] */*: Mask Py2 only packages
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2020 17:37:06
1 On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 10:32:28AM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Sat, 20 Jun 2020, Aaron Bauman wrote:
3 >
4 > >> # Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> (2020-06-20)
5 > >> # Py2 only
6 > >> # Removal in 14 days
7 >
8 > I see these short deadlines quite often recently. Any reason why this
9 > can't be the usual 30 days?
10 >
11 > >> [...]
12 >
13 > >> games-board/scid
14 >
15 > I wonder about scid appearing in the list. IIRC, it is written in C++,
16 > not Python.
17 >
18 > Ulrich
19
20 Hi, Ulrich. Yes, the deadlines are meant to speed up the process as we
21 have *roughly* 1000+ pkgs which must be converted to py3 or removed
22 before we can drop the interpreter.
23
24 As such, doing this in bulk with delays in between masks helps others
25 find and fix up these packages if they can stay. Some have ports to Py3,
26 others simply don't need the bindings, etc.
27
28 So, thank you to all who have taken a few minutes to help us keep
29 packages that can still be supported. Unfortunately, we have a bad ratio
30 of devs to # of packages.
33 Cheers,
34 Aaron